Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Girl with a drill.

In recent perusals of a favorite, local blog I have been enjoying, I found the young couple John & Sherry were working to clean up their neglected garage. They asked others to be inspired by their mess, and tackle that space you have been meaning to get around to, but haven't. I remembered that I was due for a trip to the hardware store and decided to hit up some crafty goodness as well. I have, after all, been meaning to make some additions to my bizarre little apartment.


But first, I couldn't help but notice an entry with a great DIY jewelry organizing project, submitted by a reader- Christy from Dwell Magazine. I dug through my collections of fabric and set to work at once. Here are the results:


Instead of cork board I used some plain MDF board from the local craft shop. I grabbed a bit of Elmer's Fabric Glue to use, and was quite pleased with the results. I'm generally a Mod-Podge girl, but the quality of Elmer's held the fabric in place firmly as I stretched and stapled it over the board.

Now, the little white shelf in the bathroom. I've been meaning to install one for a while. My fear is that the rambunctious and crazy cat would leap onto it during a fit of chasing invisible mice, and rip the shelf from the wall, smashing to bits everything upon it. I speak from experience. Despite that, I drilled several holes in the wall (make sure you are using the correctly sized drill bit or you will return, like me, to the hardware store for some Spackle and touch-up paint). The shelf, combined with my new radio, a plant to lighten things up and some other random decor and last-minute projects give a nice new feel to the drab old bathroom. Lovely!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, have you been approached by Trading Spaces yet? Incredible! I'm truly impressed and now I believe you can do anything you set your little mind to. That might seem like an insult but it sounds cute so I'm going to keep it. I can't wait to take it all in and dock my ipod during trips to the loo! All joking aside, it looks very well done and adds just what your bathroom was lacking. Good job! A++ You could make some extra money off of those jewelry hangers.

    ReplyDelete