Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Planning your weekend

I hate that Wednesday is called "hump" day. Yes, it means you're halfway through the work week, over the hump, but it just sounds... awkward. Despite that, the work week is coming and going quickly. We're halfway there! If you're like me, you're already mentally planning out the weekend.

Being new to the area, I simply have no idea where to go, what to do, or where to find things to do. After several months of being in awe of my planning-type friends- the ones who say, "oh by the way there's a craft sale at such and such this weekend" or "hey free concert on Brown's Island, want to go?", I finally figured out just how they're so... in the know.

And so, here are some of my favorite places to peruse when planning for the weekend here in Richmond. It's true, there is always something happening.

Richmond Dot Com

I first found this site through Facebook, of all things. Upon further exploration into their site, I discovered a massive, well kept wealth of information. You can search upcoming events by category, day of the week, type of venue, etc. There's also a plethora of blogs, articles, and reviews on arts & entertainment, dining, shows, movies, and more.


RVA News

Building web advertising for my company often leads me to explore the sites for which the ads are intended for. As soon as I first laid eyes on it, I knew that I was in love. RVA News is an online magazine which is quickly becoming the city's most lively source for lifestyle, sports, entertainment and news. Not to mention they have a great sense of humor. Similar to Richmond.com, they have reviews, articles, blogs, and an events calendar- not to mention the regular listing of top 5 savings of the week (around town deals on groceries and the like).

And of course, Twitter

Up until recently I had been very very reluctant to join the Twitter crowd, but it's quickly become my new fascination as I click through people after people, followers after followers, and tweets after tweets. As a designer and craftster, it's a fabulous resource for DIY projects, photoshop tutorials, typography inspirations, and more. Follow your local businesses and be the first to hear the chirps on sales, promotions, and interesting goodies around town. Why just last week I got a free steak sandwich from Mortons through a Twitter promotion, and it was de-licious!

I'll add here, as mentioned above, that a few goodies around town are easy to locate from Facebook, or any other social networking site you may belong to. It's a chance for business to build their brands, tell you the latest on sales, events, and new inventory, and a great way for communities (I'm a fan of "Carytown", for example) to keep you engaged in local happenings. It's also a nice way to show your support, and of course, plan your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment